Monday, August 1, 2011

Container Planting The Easy Way

I just saw the coolest video for doing container planting that was really easy.  Ian from Your Garden Show had some really easy tips for potting up some plants in a larger container:



He basically says to:

.  Take a large pot and fill partially with potting soil and compost.
.  Have several plants that you want to move into the large pot
.  Figure out placement of these in the larger pot.
.  Submurge each of the plants in water for several minutes until air bubbles have left and root ball is hydrated and remove them from their own pots and set aside.
.  Insert each of the now empty pots into the larger pot so that the tops are all even and the position where the soil level should be is level in all of them.
.  Fill up the empty spaces between the pots and tamp down so that soil levels out.  Keep adding soil until it reaches the proper soil level.
.  Now remove each pot from the larger pot.  A nice planting hole will be created.
.  Place the plant that was in that pot in the empty hole and go on to the next pot.  Do this for each plant one at a time until all of them are in the new pot.
.  Top off with soil until soil level is even, but not mounded.
.  Water in.  It's that easy.

The one thing Ian doesn't tell us is to scuff the root ball if the plant is root bound.  I think I would do this anyway.  But I really found this an easy way to plant up a container without a lot of fuss.  I'm going to try this the next time I plant up a container.

11 comments:

  1. Saw your comment at another blog and just had to come by and say HI from Crafty Gardener

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Crafty Gardener,

    From one Crafty Gardener to another.

    Yael

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great tip on container gardening!! I will have to remember this technique next year as I'v all mine potted up! Thank you for posting!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great post. Thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  5. great tips. I have been trying to do more container gardens.. sometimes I get frustrated because the flowers dry out so fast.
    Have a great Monday

    ReplyDelete
  6. These are great tips! I haven't done container gardening before.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great tips! I do a lot of container gardening so this info will come in handy. It's so hot here and we've lost two of our big trees to storm damage.... so, my gardens are burning up. I will probably reduce the size of my English gardens and do even more container gardening.
    I read several of your posts. I love crafting things for my gardens, porch and shed (my little house in the back yard).
    Hope you will pop over and visit me!
    I enjoyed my visit here and will visit again soon!
    Elizabeth
    The Porcelain Rose

    ReplyDelete
  8. P.S. Pictures! More pictures! I love blogging to see all the wonderful photos!
    See you soon.

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is such a clever idea. Especially to place several plants into one pot. I am going to try this for sure!
    http://www.onlineplantnursery.com/native-grasses/

    ReplyDelete
  10. Such a great idea and I'm going to try it the next time I am filling my big red planter. I have a problem filling it up and this will do the trick. Thanks for visiting. Have a great weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  11. WOW, what a great idea. All those years I gardened, I did things the hard way. Thanks for the great tip.

    ReplyDelete